Original message:
Good morning I’ve never done anything like this before but can’t deal with alone anymore, I’m currently in bed trying not to panic and cry, I suffer from health anxiety
Peer comment
I ended up getting help for my anxiety. I felt I couldn't talk to family so I went to my GP. They referred me on for some help from this service. I didn't mind talking to the therapist because i felt they understood what i was going through.
Peer comment
Hi, I've never done this before either but I've come to a point of being sick because I'm so anxious. I've done various therapy before but when my anxiety starts thats where I struggle.
Peer comment
Hi, I'm suffering with health anxiety too and it's making my life a misery. I had a mini stroke last September and its alot worse since then! Every ache, every pain, even every time I cough I'm convincing myself that I've got a terrible illness. I have good days and bad days but the bad days are overtaking now 😔
Peer comment
I’ve had a degree of health anxiety all my life, but this year it kicked in big time when I had abdominal pain that wouldn’t go away. I had about 4 months of severe depression and anxiety, absolutely convinced it was something terminal. A normal blood test and abdominal ultrasound scan reassured me for a few days but then the doubts came back and so did the terrible anxiety. I was on fluoxetine, which didn’t really start to work until about 12 weeks, when I started to lift a little. Before that, I think it made me feel worse. I self-referred to the IAPT service, more out of desperation than anything else, but I’m so glad I did. My CBT therapist completely understands my health anxiety, as she has dealt with it many times before, and it is actually quite a common condition. Once I realised this, we have together developed a highly effective system of being able to recognise my negative thought processes for the utter nonsense that they are, and to self-challenge my negative thought behaviours. It requires input and effort from you if it is going to work effectively, but the results are quite impressive. My therapy is still ongoing at the time of writing, but I cannot recommend it highly enough, and also the friendly professionalism of the IAPT therapists.

You can add your anonymous comment to this conversation. It will have to be approved by our staff before it will appear here.