Original message:
I'm currently experiencing conflict with my 15 year old. This seems to have come completely out of the blue, he gets stressed and irritable very easily and we have conflict every day regarding him playing pc computer games. Am trying to give him time limits so that we don't have to keep on at him but he doesn't stick to them. I have anxiety and all of this conflict is making me extremely unhappy. Any help?
Peer comment
Hi, I don't have any children, but I was a teenager until fairly recently. I would try explaining how the way he is acting is making you feel. Teenagers are still humans and he may feel differently if he knows the effect his behaviour is having on you. There are also ways of making consoles and other technology shut off after a certain time, so this may be something to look into. Also, for more severe instances, you can always turn off the internet as this is required in order to play a lot of games and access content. I hope this helps you!
Peer comment
We have 4 children, now 27, 24, 23 and 16, 3 boys and a girl. The younger two are autistic and dyslexic. I found the boys at age 15 all were into playing games. From my own experience I wouldn't let it stress you out or your son. The way young people communicate is by playing games or via some form of technology quite often. It allows them to interact and stay in touch with each other and relax. one technique I used was to agree a meeting in advance and sit somewhere you wont be disturbed. We used our kitchen table. I had a wooden spoon on the table and a sand timer. When you were holding the wooden spoon and the timer was turned it was your turn to speak and everyone else had the turn of listening. We then discussed the issues and agreed a strategy/plan moving forward from the meeting of expectation on both parts. You may need many meetings to listen to each others view points. Also if the agreed plans weren't adhered to then the internet was turned off. The need to learn a consequence and call to action and what happens when it is not followed. It wasn't always plain sailing and takes practice.

You can add your anonymous comment to this conversation. It will have to be approved by our staff before it will appear here.