Original message:
My daughter is 17 and is currently suffering with what seems to be social anxiety. Because of that she won't self refer as she feels unable to do so. It is affecting her whole life and we are at a loss what to do. If she is refusing to speak to anybody regarding treatment what can we do? (she won't go to college or go out unless we are with her).
Wellbeing Team

Social anxiety (or social phobia) is the most common of al the phobias, which many people don't realise. This is because people often don't recognise it as a real problem that requires treatment (describing it as being shy or lacking in confidence). The good news is that the psychological treatment for Social Anxiety is very effective - it works, and there are a number of ways in which people can access it to help with the barriers. As a start we would recommend downloading the Self-Help Leaflet for Social Anxiety from the "Get Self Help" section of our website. The best Self Help programme is "Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self Help Course" by Gillian Butler - It contains 3 easy to use manuals that you work through - You can find it in the link to "Overcoming" website on our "Get Self Help" page. We would also recommend the Moodjice website that has treatment advice on social anxiety (link is also on our Get Self Help page). The effective treatment is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), and our Self-Help recommendations use CBT principles. However, if your daughter feels the self-help on-line/Books are not sufficient, we would be keen to try and offer an appointment in a way that she could cope with - e.g. a home visit; a telephone call; email contact; online via skype. We can offer shorter appointments to begin with and build up gradually. You could call our helpline to discuss further with one of our duty therapists.          

You can add your anonymous comment to this conversation. It will have to be approved by our staff before it will appear here.